After watching Fanboys with my girl in Burbank we went to Amoeba records in Hollywood. I wanted to pick up an album recommended to me by a co-worker. The Album is called Ruby Vroom. For those of you who have never been there, Amoeba is a huge music and video store. It is where you go when you want to find something for sure. A side effect of their variety and location is that there are always interesting characters wandering up and down the isles of media. People who are dedicated to a look and a style. I wandered around looking at things for a while with Sarah in tow so she could see. They have all sorts of movie posters hung up high on the walls, and movies and albums a-plenty. So much to see. I found what I wanted swiftly and when I had had enough looking and wandering we paid and left. The first thing I did when I got back to my car is slip in my new CD and cue up a song called Screenwriter's Blues. We jumped on the 101 freeway south headed home.
Listening to that song, on that freeway at night brought together one of those moments that will stick with me. The lights of Downtown after the varied and dedicated folk of Hollywood made me think just for a moment that I love Los Angeles. It is a place like no other. I am not the most traveled person but I have been a few places and Los Angeles offers this variation and exciting strangeness that is intriguing and frightening at the same time. I could spend decades wandering the myriad streets and neighborhoods and never see all there is to see. From harsh and gang ridden badlands to the shaped and pruned gardens of the rich. Some places are cramped and some spacious. Some poor and worn, some shiny and new. I feel that I will have wasted this place if I do not explore it, yet it frightens me. I think I am going to have to go on expeditions with my camera if I have the courage.
No comments:
Post a Comment