Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Review: Coraline

Sarah and I saw "Coraline" this weekend. It is an animated film about a little girl who finds a door to a parallel realm and deals with adventures there. I couldn't help but be reminded of "Pan's Labyrinth" even though Coraline was much less brutal. It was a good film if a bit predictable. The young heroine moves to a new place and has trouble with her parents, then she finds an alternate world with alternate parents that are too good to be true. (This is not a spoiler because you know that much from the trailer so don't whine) It doesn't get any more original plot-wise but the stunning visuals and entertaining characters keep you interested. One note though. This is not a movie for small children. The events get kind of freakish but I won't spoil it for anyone by spelling it out. I recommend.

No comments: