Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sailing

Today I went Sailing for the first time. We went out from Ventura on a 35 foot sailboat. The wind was strong but the waters were fairly calm. We sailed out towards a drilling platform called Gina (I have no idea why) and then back when time began to run out. It was a very relaxing time. I learned a lot about what it means to be on a sailboat instead of a motorboat. The main distinction (other then the sail) is that a sailboat is a displacement craft, which means that it cuts through the water instead of skimming along on top of it. Practically this means that when we were leaning (heeled?) over bay 15 degrees right (starboard) that it was just fine and normal. I went with my lady Sarah, Craig and Julia, and Craig's parents Bob and Sally. The boat was half Bob and Sally's, and is named "My Cat Ate A Whole Watermelon" It was an awesome time and I hope to do it again sometime. Next time hopefully we can make it all the way to Gina. And I don't think its too much to hope that one day we will make it out to the channel islands.

Now I have to get going if i am going to make it out to have drinks with Brook for his birthday.

No comments: