Today Sarah and I saw "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." It was a grand film with stunning special effects based around the life of the title character. The central focus of all of the movie's conflicts and plot points is that for some never explained reason, Benjamin is born as an old man, and grows younger over the course of his life. This is an interesting premise, but to build an entire movie on it leaves you wanting. Individually, the events in the story are interesting, amusing, or compelling. Every scene is well constructed and they are emotionally effective in pieces. The great problem comes when one considers the work as a whole. The characters show no great triumph, and no unique insight. In the end it is two imperfect people who share a love that ends imperfectly.
The title character is a quiet polite person with a unique perspective borne of patience and observation. I could not help but think of Forrest Gump, and then later of Joe Black (another Pitt character). In the end Benjamin is a weak character despite his depth.
On a less professional note: when I saw in the credits that it was based on a story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, I threw my hands in the air and said "of course, that's why it was pointless" My girlfriend was not amused.
No comments:
Post a Comment