Novia and I just bottled mead batch 8. This batch has come out wonderfully. It was made with two vanilla beans, and had oak chips added to simulate barrel aging.
This batch was one of constant adjustments. It started with 12 lbs of honey and a 1.10 original gravity. After primary fermentation the specific gravity had fallen to 1.022 I was concerned that the yeast would not have enough sugar to reach full fermentation. Because of this, I added 5lbs. of honey and brought the specific gravity up to 1.060. During secondary fermentation The specific gravity dropped down to 1.038 but because of excess sweetness I added 1 liter of water and knocked the S.G. down to 1.034.
This batch yielded 18 liters of mead in 16 regular size wine bottles and four double size bottles. Unfortunately because of the constant adjustments, especially the addition of the liter of water, I am not able figure out an accurate percent of alcohol. My guess will have to be based on fuzzy math. I think the resultant mead has 12.3% alcohol by volume.
It will be hard to keep from drinking this one up. I need to keep a bottle for competition next year. I will definitely be opening a bottle tomorrow for my birthday party.
This batch was one of constant adjustments. It started with 12 lbs of honey and a 1.10 original gravity. After primary fermentation the specific gravity had fallen to 1.022 I was concerned that the yeast would not have enough sugar to reach full fermentation. Because of this, I added 5lbs. of honey and brought the specific gravity up to 1.060. During secondary fermentation The specific gravity dropped down to 1.038 but because of excess sweetness I added 1 liter of water and knocked the S.G. down to 1.034.
This batch yielded 18 liters of mead in 16 regular size wine bottles and four double size bottles. Unfortunately because of the constant adjustments, especially the addition of the liter of water, I am not able figure out an accurate percent of alcohol. My guess will have to be based on fuzzy math. I think the resultant mead has 12.3% alcohol by volume.
It will be hard to keep from drinking this one up. I need to keep a bottle for competition next year. I will definitely be opening a bottle tomorrow for my birthday party.
1 comment:
How about saving a bottle for your old dad when I arrive in November?
Dad
Post a Comment