In my search for a new job, I have come to question a decision that I had made about my education. When I finished with high school I went to a local community college. I did this mostly because college is what you do after high school. I was not sure for a long time about what kind of a career I wanted and what kind of education that I needed to achieve that. I finally became interested in video production and with that to focus on, I finished an associates degree.
I then found a job installing professional video gear and worked there for years. That job has come to an end and I am left wondering what I am going to do next. I have written out a resume and applied for a few jobs but we are in a recession and there are few jobs to be had. Now that I am sifting through job postings I am coming to the realization that my lack of a four year degree is limiting me.
Now I am second guessing myself. Should I try and go back to school? What kind of jobs are open to me and which are closed? At this juncture it is not difficult for me to go back to school, but it would mean dropping work for a few years. I don't want to do that, I don't think there is much for me at school; any degree I would earn would only be a trophy to show others and not a real representation of accomplishment. I seem to have the ability to learn things for myself or from books, and when I want to know something I look into it and figure it out.
The goal seems to be to make money. I have met a few self made millionaires in my life. The common thread is not education, but proper management of money. I do want to make a pile of money not for the sake of pure opulence but to be able to pursue the arts and crafts that interest me. I am just not sure what path is the right one for me to take to that goal. I am going to have to do some serious out of the box thinking
1 comment:
Thinking that anyone's education or career path fit in a box is kind of naive... there are just too many options to say "do x then y will happen" for anyone. I think that is what a lot of people get wrong about careers. It is really about knowing and communicating with as many people as possible till you have find a job you want to do. If you're qualified to do that or can con someone into taking a risk on you great, otherwise go get whatever education you need to get the job. If you don't dream big and then work backward to getting there I think you tend to get stuck doing something you don't love for a very long time.
Post a Comment