I have added a few new friends to facebook this week. These are people that I met at an improv show called The Dungeon Master (see my Stage Ninja post) and It has changed the way I see my facebook. Until recently, all of the people I had friended on facebook were people that I know and spend time with in real life. I don't tend to be the person to initiate the friend request and on more than one occasion I have deleted or rejected someone that I don't know or don't care about.
Now I look at my status updates differently. There are people that will get my updates that don't know me. I consider things differently now that I have these new acquaintances. I want to keep personal information to myself but at the same time I don't want to bother people with frivolous bullshit, so my posting has dropped precipitously. I need to figure out what these new "friends" mean to me and how I am going to handle them. Do I charge forward full speed ahead and let them deal with my posts as they will? that seems to be the only answer as I will not allow it to stifle me. I just have to get used to my new use of Facebook to share with new people instead of just keeping tabs on old friends.
1 comment:
You can always place these acquaintances in a "limited profile" group and restrict their access to the more personal aspects of your page.
Post a Comment