Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Las Vegas Friends

A couple of years ago I would not have called myself a person who makes friends swiftly. I had a high bar for the title of friend, and a relatively closed circle of friends. Some of us seemed of the opinion that we had several very good friends and that was enough. In more recent times, thanks to my ex-girlfriend, and some of the friends-of-friends that I have grown close to, I have changed my mind to think that one can never have too many friends. I think I have even made one of my friends uncomfortable with how fast I insinuated myself into his circle of friends.

Even with this new attitude, I am still not that much of an outgoing person. I am not the kind of person who strikes up random conversations with strangers. It seems that everyone I know I met through someone. This is a very limiting behavior, and now I recognize it for what it is. While I was in Las Vegas I was thrown in with two distinct groups of people: the bachelor's work friends (to which I technically belonged) and the bachelor's personal friends. I knew about half of the people there but only by name. The bachelor and his younger brother were the only ones I was actually familiar with.

While at the Hoffbreauhaus, I was seated across from one of the people I didn't know. I talked to him for a bit, and when I mentioned that I was thinking of visiting San Fransisco after the wedding, but didn't know anyone up there, he gave me his card and told me to look him up. Now I know what you are thinking here. Some Guy from San Fransisco? wants to hang out? This dude is gay! Well despite the fact that he is a makeup artist, and was very well dressed, I am pretty sure he is not after my ass. Some of the conversation we had was about his recent breakup with his ex-girlfriend.

It was very neat to meet people and get such a positive reaction. I was not one of the awkward people there. I had no trouble talking to anyone, and I made a contact that can show me around a city that I would very much like to explore.

I also visited another friend who lives in Las Vegas and got along very well with him and two of his friends that were there. If I had had more time, I would have loved to go check out the band one of his friends was in and hang out more. Perhaps next time.

I took myself out of my normal circle and made friends and had good times. I feel more confident than I ever have before. This was a good trip.

No comments: