Monday, February 8, 2010

Beatings, Bars and Balls

Friday was ok. I left work early (a regular occurrence with such slow work) and headed over to help my brother train for his Black Belt test. This means that we go over the techniques and he throws me on the ground a lot. He has it down and most of the focus is me learning how to fall without hurting myself. I mostly failed at falling and got a bruised elbow and sprained ankle for my troubles. Watched "District 9" with some friends. That movie is very brutal. The view of humanity lacking empathy and care for any group that can be portrayed as an outsider is harsh, and I hope overstated.

Saturday was lunch with family. I hadn't had sushi since I broke up with the ex and that was good. That night I went out with some friends. We hit the Yardhouse where our hot little friend Jess offered to be a great wingman (wingbabe?) and come out drinking and such with us, but after half a sandwich she started feeling sick and had to be taken home. This cut our crew in half but undaunted we charged on to the heart of old town Pasadena. The trouble is that I am very uncomfortable with the whole "bar scene" and had difficulty adjusting. We went first to a bar whose name I don't remember and Brook was digging the sound and there was a live DJ and an artist working on a painting. Not to mention some very attractive ladies. We left for no good reason and headed over to Q's poolhall where we took in a drink and had a conversation about the whole interaction that we were watching but not participating in. It is a game or perhaps a hunt. And neither he nor I is particularly skilled at making the point or bagging the kill. After a little while we headed home no worse for the wear and contemplative of how to make the situation work better next time.

Sunday was as everyone knows THE SUPERBOWL. I really don't give a care about sports. So the game was a chance to hang out with friends, drink some beers and watch large men crash into each other on TV. I had a small bet with the same girl that left early on Saturday for a dinner. I was pro saints and she was pro colts and the loser would cook the winner dinner. Despite the fact that I won the bet, I am not going to collect. It would involve going out to her place on the westside and hanging with her roommates and I am just not interested in that situation. Also my friend is interested in her so I am just not going to get into that situation. She left in beginning of the fourth and this leaving early thing is starting to be a pattern.

That is all there is to report for this weekend. I would call it a solid Good. Next weekend is Las Vegas so we shall see what that brings.

No comments: