Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Hapkido and turning

As you can no doubt tell from the title, I went to HapKiDo tonight. I almost didn't make it there though. I left work a little early because there was nothing going on , and I got a little time alone with my lathe. I almost missed HapKiDo because i didn't want to stop, and I skipped out on MMA because I wanted to go back. I have a Shopsmith 10ER. I got it on eBay a few years ago for use as a lathe. It is immensely useful as it transforms to be a lathe, table saw, drill press (or horizontal boring machine), and a disc sander. I use it mostly as a lathe though. Tonight I broke it out and turned a wooden cap to go on a metal wine bottle stopper. It is a pretty standard kit but the possibilities are endless because you can turn (or carve for that matter) whatever shape you want to go on top of it. I ended up turning a piece of tulip-wood in the shape of a large Hershey kiss. I will post a picture of it when I have it properly glued on.
This brings me to the idea that has been bouncing around in my head for the past two or so years. I have been thinking of putting up a website about all of the various crafts that interest me. I would post tutorials descriptions and my art. I even had a rudimentary site up for almost a year, but I took it down due to my own inactivity and lack of follow through. The eventual goal would be to get me work making props for movies or something like that. I just lack confidence that it would amount to anything.

No comments: