It is
difficult some times for me to get comfortable with my job. I am the designated
tech for setting up systems for new users and picking up the systems from users
who are “no longer with the company.” It is an easy task but one that is not
without a little bit of angst. I am painfully aware of what the turnover rate
is at the company and of how some people don’t make it past a month, let alone
six. I am also aware that I am the most junior member of the team and therefore
the most expendable. I watch people come and go. Sometimes they are here for a
couple of weeks and other times I hear about a coworker being honored for being
with the company for 20 years. I cannot shake the feeling that I am not going
to last that long. I may be here for years but not many. I don’t exactly fear for my job (any more at
least) but I am constantly aware that it will eventually come to an end.
I don’t fit
the IT bill. The mindset of a tech is one of maintaining control and keeping
the network safe and stable. While I understand and respect the need for that
attitude, I am inclined to focus on innovation and solving problems. Whenever I
apply out-of-the-box thinking, the response is “NO, that isn’t in the box. We
don’t support that” That attitude is stifling to me. I know that I won’t make
this job my career.
This brings
me to the thought of what I want to do professionally. I have several irons in
the fire as they say, but I am starting to wonder if I am dividing my attention
too much. I am pursuing my IT career by working on earning a CCNA. I am
beginning down the path to learn how to program by taking an introduction to CS
class where I am learning the programing language C++. I am also about to try
out selling my ceramic work on Etsy (this kind of half-in production pottery
work would never have been possible before Etsy). Each of these pursuits has
its own problem. The CCNA class will be useless if I leave the IT field. The programming
may be out of reach if I cannot go back and get a BS in Computer Science. The
pottery may be some pipe dream that is unsustainable in the real world. I have
so much doubt but these are the best plans that I can come up with so I will go
with them.
2 comments:
How good a life did the best potter in history have? Are you as good as he/she was? Is that life good enough for you?
Now, ceramics is a big field, I know that. Adolph Coors, along with brewing beer, made a fortune in ceramics if I am not mistaken. But seeing yourself in a tie-dyed shirt and sandals in a booth at the Renaissance fair is something you might want to think about. Just my two cents worth you understand.
Dad
1) Dev Ops - the blending of IT and CS. It is more about automating, solving problems and utilizing cutting edge technologies. Requires some programming ability (but no CS degree) and the right kind of analytical, experimental mind... the kind that's always trying to methodically solve the puzzle
2) Anyone who tells you that you for sure need a CS degree to be a good software developer is full of shit. I can say that because I have one ;-) You might have to work in more cutting edge areas of the field for a while, but that can be fun too.
3) As you find yourself more grounded in CS and IT, you'll find new ways to leverage your artistic side in those areas. Designers do quite well.
4) It feels like you're moving toward transcending the "I'm a developer", "I'm an engineer", "I'm a potter" box and finding a way to meld your interests in to something more powerful. Like Voltron... for careers
;-)
Post a Comment