Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Alcohol Potential

I have been looking further into Alcohol By Volume and Specific Gravity, and I am a little concerned about my 8th batch of mead. The Original Gravity is 1.1 which according to my hydrometer allows for a alcohol potential of 13.2%. The yeast we selected has a alcohol tolerance of 18%. This means that this batch will wind up being completely dry with about a 13.2% alcohol by volume.

I am a little concerned because batch 7 was a fairly dry mead and this time I intended on making a medium sweet mead. Now I have to decide if I want to add more honey when I transfer the must to secondary fermentation to allow it to ferment to its full alcohol tolerance and have sugar left over for sweetness. I can also let it ferment to the available sugar and then add more honey after filtering the finished mead down to 1/2 micron sterile filtration. It depends on how much sweetness and how much alcohol I want in the finished batch. 

Friends: feel free to chime in here and let me know what you think. The comments are enabled on this blog so I can get your opinions on things so let me know.

No comments: