I scraped myself up last week for the first time in a long time. I was running on top of a low brick dividing wall, and I lost my balance. My foot slipped off the side and, as I fell the less than two feet to land with my feet on the ground and my butt on the wall, I scraped up the side of my left leg. I wound up with scratches on top of bruises. I am now almost completely healed but this event has provoked some reflection.
With the exception of the small scratches I get on my hands at work, I haven't been scraped up in a long time. It has been a couple of years since the last time I fell from my skateboard and scratched myself up. I had a couple of choices on how to react to this event. I could have (and almost did) said that I was not dumb enough to do that again, and I could have decided not to climb on things or run on narrow surfaces any more. Immediately after that thought ran through my head, I rejected it. I am not nearly old enough to stop that kind of behavior. I landed well and because I am constantly testing my balance and therefore have a good sense of it. I will begin to loose that balance as soon as I stop using it, and I am not old enough to stop. I am ready to scrape my knees or palms or whatever again (just not the face plz). I am going to continue on as before: I will jump railings, and I will walk on the grass, and I will run on uneven surfaces, and I will slide down the banister.
I don't know how much longer I have left of the strength of youth but I will not give up on it before it leaves me.
With the exception of the small scratches I get on my hands at work, I haven't been scraped up in a long time. It has been a couple of years since the last time I fell from my skateboard and scratched myself up. I had a couple of choices on how to react to this event. I could have (and almost did) said that I was not dumb enough to do that again, and I could have decided not to climb on things or run on narrow surfaces any more. Immediately after that thought ran through my head, I rejected it. I am not nearly old enough to stop that kind of behavior. I landed well and because I am constantly testing my balance and therefore have a good sense of it. I will begin to loose that balance as soon as I stop using it, and I am not old enough to stop. I am ready to scrape my knees or palms or whatever again (just not the face plz). I am going to continue on as before: I will jump railings, and I will walk on the grass, and I will run on uneven surfaces, and I will slide down the banister.
I don't know how much longer I have left of the strength of youth but I will not give up on it before it leaves me.
No comments:
Post a Comment