Today Novia (my girlfriend) and I started my 7th batch of mead. We are aiming to make a medium sweet cherry melomel. We used twelve pounds of cactus honey and one pound of dried tart cherries, I am a little concerned about the cherries releasing enough flavor to be noticeable. Next time I might buy cherry juice to use instead. The starting gravity was 1.09 which means the must has an alcohol potential of 13%. I used Lavlin 71B-1177 wine yeast which has an alcohol tolerance of 14% I am concerned with how sweet the result will be. I will have to recheck things after two weeks.
2 comments:
What changed your mind about using the orange blossom with the cherries?
The Acidity. The cactus honey has less and the cherries have more.
It is bubbling strong now. It started fermenting in about 6 hours. It usually takes 12-24.
Post a Comment