My brother and I have upgraded our memberships in our HapKiDo dojo to include the leadership program. This means that we have access to Wing Chung lessons, selected weapons training (currently eskrima), and actual leadership development that includes reading books on the subject. I have missed the two classes so far that have been held since I joined (because of work) but I bought the book and am reading it.
I have realized for a while now that leadership is a skill that is unparalleled. With good leadership skills you can leverage your knowledge and the skills of others to create something that neither could create individually. It is somewhat like investing, you find a good vehicle and put money into it and then the money grows. With leadership you find talented people, put ideas into them or link them with other talented people and you can build something very rewarding. I wish to develop this ability because I want to spend my life building things. I am also inclined to do challenging things myself and ignore or procrastinate on the easy things.
My job is currently at a plateau. The company needs more work if it is going to survive and in the absence of work I am left doing things that are less than productive (like blogging). I am going to have to find work for us somehow, that is what a leader would do. I am going to take some advice from my friend Rob, and make an attempt to become more active in the post-production social scene, whatever that means. For now I am going to try reading and posting on boards, and getting the company name out there.
Personally, I have an idea that I want to bring across to reality. I know that I want to create a website for the various crafts that I do. I want it to be a reference, and a magazine. A place with how-tos, reviews, interviews, and studio tours. I think that if I was looking at doing this 15 years ago, I would be trying to put together a magazine but since we are firmly in the internet age I am going to try to make a more rounded and linked together website with a wiki, blog, video channel and whatever else I need to get the job done. I have some very talented friends and hope we can pull this thing together.
No comments:
Post a Comment