Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Mead batch 5 Bottled!

Sarah and I bottled our 5th batch of mead last night. It is excellent. This batch had a few additives: freeze-dried cranberries, vanilla, and oak. Since the batch was 6 gallons to start we divided it into a 5 gallon batch with all of the additives and a 1 gallon batch with none. They are both good but i think the plain one is better. It is a bit dryer and I think that leads to a bit more drinkable. This batch is the first one that I have used a filter on. I bought a Jet mini-filter, and it worked wonderfully. The mead is clear and beautiful, and now I don't have to worry about fermentation restarting and blowing the corks. I had 4 bottles of the plain, and 20 bottles of the cran-vanilla-oak (4 of which are magnum 1.5L bottles). I am now going to design the label for the batch. This is probably the best batch yet.... I didn't get the final specific gravity measurement for this batch. Next I have to move mead batch 6 (apple cinnamon) to secondary fermentation, and hopefully to a cooler place than my 85+ degree apt.

No comments: