Yesterday I went out to my local martial arts supply and picked up some sparring gear. Today was sparring at my dojo, and since my Wednesday running partner rescheduled for tomorrow, I found myself fresh out of excuses. I went in and did a little fighting.
For my first match as an adult I was opposite Jujitsu black-belt. He had clear control of the fight with superior aim and timing despite the fact that he was old enough to be my father. He landed one punch squarely (if not very hard) on my nose giving me a double nose bleed. I retired to the restroom to sort it out. After I stopped the bleeding I had to reconsider my enthusiasm in the sport. I had been fighting less than 5 minutes in a light contact easy manner and already I had my own blood on my gi. I pulled myself together eventually and went out with a green belt (I am what is called a red-stripe-1) and managed to get some good even light sparring. He did at one point kick me square in the balls, bit it was a light hit and I was already a little pumped up so it barely hurt. Last I faced a Hapkido black-belt and we traded punches and kicks in a more easy rhythm. Overall I learned quite a bit. I will be going back but I am not sure when, as I do go running on Wednesdays.
No comments:
Post a Comment