I drove down to Fallbrook today for a friend's wedding. He is a co-worker but we get along very well, and would probably be closer if we weren't so busy and we lived closer. I gave them two bottles of mead as a gift. It was a nice ceremony at their local church followed by a reception at the local golf club. I felt a little isolated there because I only knew 4 people including the bride and groom. My girlfriend didn't make it out either so I was just left to watch awkwardly while the bride's friends cut a rug to classics like Living on a Prayer and Thriller.
It was a Lutheran wedding and as I always do in churches, I felt uncomfortable. There was a lot of talk about having Jesus in the center of the marriage, which I found very strange. Even seeing how happy the bride and groom were I am still not sure if I will ever get married myself. I have no religious compunction to get married, and the legal consequences of a failed marriage are horrific. I do however feel the social pull of going through this ritual as a kind of right-of-passage.
Fallbrook seems like a nice town. It is a smallish hilly spread-out place. I really need to make some time to get to know this friend better. We have a good rapport and mutual respect. Plus, his father (and I think he as well) has gotten into making fruit wines, and he gave me two bottles of blood orange wine. They also have a neighbour with about 1500 wine grape vines split between sangeovese and syrah.
No comments:
Post a Comment