Monday, December 29, 2008

Awakened Mage

My review of "Awakened Mage" by Karen Miller
What can I say about this book that I haven't already said about "Innocent Mage"? The story plods along at the same frustrating pace. The characters carry out the roles that have been etched in stone for them from the second chapter. Any novelty in the setting has worn off after the first book leaving only a grudging desire to reach the end to carry you on with the same inexorable plot-line that varies not one inch from the expected. If there is any interesting and unique part to this story it is the saviour-based religion that springs up around Barl the historic mage that created the paradise that is the kingdom of Lur. Oh well I guess I should have seen this coming, but I always like to finish the novels that I start.
Oh and a word about the climax. The final battle that has been alluded to throughout both very long books is a short affair and taking in to account all the hype that lead up to the battle, It was disappointing.

No comments: