I am listening to episode 25 of the Tim Ferriss show podcast. Tim is talking to a man named Kevin Kelly about one of their favorite topics, dropping out of the "normal" workflow/social expectation and travelling the world. Kevin says that one of the life skills that he recommends and values is the ability to go out on your own and see how far you can get. He talks about the time that he traveled to Asia as a photographer despite not speaking any Asian languages. His point (at least in the first 15 minutes of the podcast) is that only by exploring, taking risks, and perhaps by failing and having to make the best of a rough time do you figure out what you really need in life.
I have found the idea of casting off into the world to be quite alluring. I am not that much of an outgoing person and I don't tend to make friends with the effortless ease of some people. However, if I had my early twenties back, I would do it. The thing is, I am in my early thirties now and I am in a different place in my life now. I know what I want. I need to create, I need to learn, and I want to be in a committed equal relationship (I love you pie). I have been slowly working towards building a life that can sustain those things. If I were to head off to the back country I would have fun for sure but I would shortly run out of intake capacity and would crave a return to my workspace where I could put what I have learned into motion in creative ways.
It is a good thing to know who you are. I am not captivated by climbing mountains, and discovering hidden valleys. I am interested in creation not exploration (not that I am opposed to exploration, but I have my priorities).
I can let go now of the consternation that I had been holding over not fitting into the kind of lifestyle espoused by Tim and Kevin. I am a maker not a seer, and I am happy to be so.
I have found the idea of casting off into the world to be quite alluring. I am not that much of an outgoing person and I don't tend to make friends with the effortless ease of some people. However, if I had my early twenties back, I would do it. The thing is, I am in my early thirties now and I am in a different place in my life now. I know what I want. I need to create, I need to learn, and I want to be in a committed equal relationship (I love you pie). I have been slowly working towards building a life that can sustain those things. If I were to head off to the back country I would have fun for sure but I would shortly run out of intake capacity and would crave a return to my workspace where I could put what I have learned into motion in creative ways.
It is a good thing to know who you are. I am not captivated by climbing mountains, and discovering hidden valleys. I am interested in creation not exploration (not that I am opposed to exploration, but I have my priorities).
I can let go now of the consternation that I had been holding over not fitting into the kind of lifestyle espoused by Tim and Kevin. I am a maker not a seer, and I am happy to be so.
No comments:
Post a Comment