As part of my plan to get a bachelors degree, I have been struggling lately with the decision on which degree to pursue. I am interested in getting in to programming but I am afraid that a Computer Science BS may not be for me. Firstly it seems like a lot of work. The math and physics requirements are very high. I am not confident that I could finish a degree like that in 2 years (after transferring). In addition: I am not interested in microprocessor design or building enterprise software so there is no need to torture myself.
I am looking at other adjacent degrees but it is difficult to decide which one will be the most beneficial. Computer Information Systems could be a good fit but, as I understand it, it is more of an IT degree. I don’t want to be a systems administrator, I want to be creating new things. The best and worst thing about this degree is that at many colleges it is part of the business department. I could add a strong understanding of business management to my computer knowledge.
Cognitive Science sounds extremely fascinating but the career prospects are squishy. Some degrees are more solid than others and CogSci looks a little bullshitty on paper. That being said, I am very drawn to the idea of studying how the mind works and getting into the details of human-machine interaction. If I can get a minor in CS, it may bolster the credibility of this option.
A friend of mine instilled two bits of wisdom on my at about 2AM on last Sunday night. First he said that if I don’t get a degree with “computer” in the title, I had better have a good portfolio to prove that I can do the programming. Second, he said that if I am going to go that route, I should pick a degree that is going to hold my interest and keep me invested long enough to graduate. My girlfriend keeps reminding me to keep my eye on the prize and to focus on taking the classes (and secondarily the degree) that will get me into my chosen field. If I get derailed onto an easier degree path that does not relate to my career goals, then this entire exercise will have been for naught.
How about you, friends? Do any of you out there have experience with these degrees? Do any of you have advice on which path to take?
I am looking at other adjacent degrees but it is difficult to decide which one will be the most beneficial. Computer Information Systems could be a good fit but, as I understand it, it is more of an IT degree. I don’t want to be a systems administrator, I want to be creating new things. The best and worst thing about this degree is that at many colleges it is part of the business department. I could add a strong understanding of business management to my computer knowledge.
Cognitive Science sounds extremely fascinating but the career prospects are squishy. Some degrees are more solid than others and CogSci looks a little bullshitty on paper. That being said, I am very drawn to the idea of studying how the mind works and getting into the details of human-machine interaction. If I can get a minor in CS, it may bolster the credibility of this option.
A friend of mine instilled two bits of wisdom on my at about 2AM on last Sunday night. First he said that if I don’t get a degree with “computer” in the title, I had better have a good portfolio to prove that I can do the programming. Second, he said that if I am going to go that route, I should pick a degree that is going to hold my interest and keep me invested long enough to graduate. My girlfriend keeps reminding me to keep my eye on the prize and to focus on taking the classes (and secondarily the degree) that will get me into my chosen field. If I get derailed onto an easier degree path that does not relate to my career goals, then this entire exercise will have been for naught.
How about you, friends? Do any of you out there have experience with these degrees? Do any of you have advice on which path to take?
1 comment:
Even if you get a CS degree, you still are going to need that portfolio to do the kinds of work you want to do. Notch8 (and its ilk) is more likely to ask for you github user name than your resume
Post a Comment