Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Bound for Mexico

Thanksgiving has been less and less of an event as years go by. It started as a huge gathering of my fathers side of the family where we all catch up with each other. Now my grandparents are gone, and father is rarely in the country for thanksgiving or for his birthday which is around the same day. Now the dinner feast is just one family and a couple of uncles and cousins. I go each year because if I didn't then I would only see this part of my family for Christmas or not at all.

This year a few anomalies have cropped up, both are birthdays. My father may actually be in town for thanksgiving and his birthday and so I want to be able to celebrate them with him. The second is that it is my girlfriend's grandfather's 90th birthday that weekend, and she has invited me to go with her to Mexico City to celebrate with her and her family.

I have not been to Mexico in many years and Mexico City is where the Girlfriend grew up, so I very much want to go with her. I decided to approach this decision directly and e-mailed my father about his birthday. He said that I should go, and that if it were his choice he would go himself. That makes half of the decision but now comes the financial part. I have recently booked a eastern Mediterranean cruise and done an expensive car repair. The thought of buying another plane ticket does not thrill me. I very much want to go, and probably will but now I am watching my carefully constructed savings crumble before my eyes.

1 comment:

Sean said...

Only thing I have to say is, be careful. Remember Mexico IS a third world country ATM. And I know that there are bad people out there... Remeber I lost a good friend less than a year ago on vacation there.